These are removable retainers made with a round metal wire that runs across the outside of your front teeth to maintain alignment. The wires are attached to acrylic shaped to the roof of your mouth or along the gums below and inside your lower teeth.
The Hawley retainer has several advantages:
- Hawley retainers can be adjusted to fit the teeth tighter.
- It’s slightly more durable than a clear plastic retainer.
- It can last for several years if used and cared for properly.
- The upper and lower teeth touch naturally with this type of retainer.
- It affects your speech more than other retainers.
- It’s more noticeable than the other types.
- The wire may irritate your lip or cheeks initially.
- Some people can develop allergies to the metal wire.
- It is not as good as clear retainers at preventing minor rotations.
- The Hawley costs more to replace.