These are removable retainers made with a round metal wire that runs across the outside of your font teeth to maintain alignment. These wires are attached to acrylic shaped to the roof of your mouth or along the gums below and inside your lower teeth.
The Hawley retainer has several advantages:
- Hawley retainers can be adjusted to fit the teeth tighter.
- It’s slightly more durable than a clear plastic retainer.
- It can last for several years if used and cared for properly.
- The upper and lower teeth touch naturally with this type of retainer.
- It affects your speech more than other retainers.
- It’s more noticeable than the other types of retainers.
- The wire may irritate your lip or cheeks initially.
- Some people can develop allergies to the metal wire.
- It is not as good at preventing minor rotations as clear retainers
- They cost more to replace